Sadia Khan is a Partner in the General Corporate practice of Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co and is based out of its Delhi office.
Sadia has extensive experience in the field of mergers & acquisitions, corporate restructuring, general corporate & commercial advisory. She also has in-depth understanding of the education sector, having advised numerous universities, schools and other educational institutions on various matters, including their creation, investments and operations.
Sadia has advised clients across several sectors including education, media, energy, technology, manufacturing and FMCG amongst others. Some of her key client representations includes Deloitte Haskins and Sells, HT Media, NIIT Limited, Eicher Motor Limited, Dharampal Satyapal Limited.
Select Experience Statement
- Acted as legal counsel to VE Commercial Vehicles Limited on the acquisition of Volvo Bus India business for over US$ 14 million. With this transaction, VECV’s strong presence in the Indian bus market with Eicher branded buses will be complemented by Volvo buses’ prominent position in the premium bus segment.
- Acted as legal counsel for buyback of up to 26,800,000 fully paid-up Equity Shares of NIIT Limited of face value Rs. 2 each, being 15.998% of the total issued and paid-up equity share capital of the company for an aggregate amount not exceeding Rs. 335 Crores, at Rs. 125 per share via “Tender Route”.
- Acted as a transaction and legal counsel for NIIT Limited (a listed company) and the other promoters of NIIT Technologies Limited (another listed company) in the sale of 30.58% of their investments in NIIT Technologies Limited to the affiliate entity of Baring Equity Asia for USD 381,000,000 (USD 709,000,000 after including the public offer).
- Acted as a legal and transaction counsel for NIIT Technologies Limited in relation to the acquisition of the entire share capital of Whishworks IT Consulting Private Limited, in multiple tranches, with an initial acquisition of 53% stake and the remaining equity to be acquired over the next two years, through pay-outs linked to financial performance for approx. USD 41 million.
- Advising Nord Anglia Education Limited, with respect to acquisition of People Combine Business Initiatives Private Limited along with its five subsidiaries operating and managing five Oakridge International Schools (IB curriculum, Cambridge curriculum and CBSE) at Hyderabad (2 schools), Vishakhapatnam (1 school), Bangalore (1 school) and Mohali (1 school) for approx. USD 171 million.
- Acted as transaction counsel for Indo Rama Renewables Limited (“Seller”), Indo Rama Renewables Jath Limited (“Company”) and Indo Rama Synthetics (India) Limited, holding company of the Seller. We advised the client on the structuring of the transaction including negotiation and finalization of the transaction documents.
- Advised HT Media Limited on the transfer and vesting of its multimedia content management division to HT Digital Streams Limited through a scheme of arrangement under Sections 391 to 394 of the Companies Act, 1956. The Scheme received the sanction of the Delhi and Patna High Courts in 2016.
- Advised Dharampal Satyapal Limited on the restructuring of its realty business whereby the realty businesses were parked into three separate vehicles i.e. Warehousing Undertaking, House Project Undertaking and Low Height Warehousing & Vehicle Parking Undertaking with direct control to the shareholders of the Dharampal Satyapal Limited through a scheme of arrangement under Sections 391 to 394 of the Companies Act, 1956. The Scheme received the sanction of the Punjab and Haryana High Court in 2016.Advising Deloitte Haskins and Sells in relation to conversion of their financial arm into an LLP.
- Advised Trident Limited on corporate governance restructuring including creation of a corporate advisory board, processes to mitigate risks on promoters, and reorganization of directorships and board committees.
- Advised Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Limited (listed company) in relation to their group restructuring whereby pure play structure in Cement space, Wind and Thermal Power space and Refractory sector were created. This was highly complex and structured scheme of arrangement.
- Advising Pathways in relation to providing an exit to Reliance Alternate Investment Fund – Private Equity Scheme I from Pathways Schools, through a buyback by the promoters of the Pathways Schools for approx. USD 28.96 million.
- Advising Global Schools Foundation (a provider of education based in Singapore with schools in South East Asia and Middle East) with respect to the regulatory aspects of the operations of their schools in India including advisory on transfer of management of schools to third parties and acquisition of existing schools.
- Advising State Governments of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh in collaboration with FICCI Alliance for Re-Imagining School Education (FICCI ARISE) in relation to the legislations for regulation and establishment of self-financed independent schools including drafting of the Uttar Pradesh Self- Financed Independent Schools (Fee Regulation) Act, 2018, Gujarat Self-financed Schools (Regulation of Fees) Act, 2017 and the proposed Andhra Pradesh Self-Financed Independent Schools (Establishment and Regulation) Act.
A detailed experience statement can be shared on a confidential basis.
- LL.B, Symbiosis Law College, Pune