Samarth Gupta is a Partner at Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co. With 10 years’ post-qualification experience.
Samarth mostly works on matters pertaining to Mergers and Acquisitions, General Corporate, Insurance regulatory & White Collar Investigations. He has managed and supervised teams on several multi- million dollar transactions, end-to-end, across various sectors – including insurance, healthcare, infrastructure, defence & aerospace – with market recognition as one of the leading practitioners for M&A in the Indian insurance sector.
Apart from transactional matters, Samarth regularly advises national and international clients on complex non-contentious insurance regulatory mandates. He also has significant experience of planning and conducting investigations of whistle-blower complaints followed up by recommending and assisting with implementing remedial measures
Select Experience Statement
- Book Running Lead Managers for the USD 2.69 billion Initial Public Offering of the Life Insurance Corporation of India – the largest IPO offering in India – on insurance regulatory aspects of the offer.
- Lighstpeed Venture on their investment in Acko Technology & Services Private Limited as part of the Series as part of the Series D fund raise by Acko for a total amount of USD 255 million.
- The Carlyle Group on their investment in Airtel’s data centre business, Nxtra Data Limited, for a 25% stake by subscription to CCPS as well as equity shares, for USD 235 Recognized as one of the “Deals of the Year”, 2020 by India Business Law Journal.
- One of Africa’s largest healthcare provider on the sale of its entire equity stake of 49.7% in one of India’s largest hospital networks to another Indian operator of hospitals backed by a reputed international PE fund, for USD 225
- One of India’s largest financial conglomerates on the sale of its entire equity stake in its health insurance subsidiary to a consortium led by at an enterprise value of USD 250 million. Post-execution, advised insurer on application to the IRDAI for transaction
- Promoters of North India’s largest hospital network on the purchase of 7.5% equity stake in the hospital network from an international finance corporation, for USD 70 million.
- Reputed Indian wealth management company on the transfer of its assets under advisory, worth USD 700 million, to one of India’s largest wealth managers and investment
- Foreign promoter of an Indian infrastructure company in the public lighting solutions space on buyout of their Indian partner’s stake in the Indian joint venture
- Indian promoter of a leading Indian life insurance company on its exit from the insurer by way of stake sale to existing shareholders for USD 150 million.
- Foreign investor on the equalization of its stake with that of the Indian promoter in their Indian joint venture operating one of India’s largest hospital networks, for USD 125 million.
- Indian promoter on the restructuring of its life insurance joint venture for an incremental capital commitment of approximately USD 110 million.
- Foreign investor on acquisition of 26% equity stake in one of India’s largest hospital networks for USD 100 million, through combination of primary and secondary acquisition.
- One of India’s largest conglomerates on structuring, setting-up and restructuring their Indian life insurance joint venture with a reputed European insurer for an initial capital commitment of approximately USD 50
- The Department of Investment and Public Assets Management, Government of India on the pre-IPO regulatory preparations (including preparing amendments to key legislations) to the IPO of a public insurance. Once concluded, this IPO will be the largest IPO in India, so far.
- A global leader in content enabled workflow solutions on their proposal to set up a fraud risk-mitigation analytical tool, for life insurers in India, comprising of prospect/insured data.
- A leading foreign insurer on permissibility of selling life insurance products resident Indians on a fly-buy basis.
- Indian promoter of a leading life insurer on the re-alignment of the joint venture agreement to ensure compliance with IRDAI requirements on IOCC.
- A microfinance institution with an audit conducted by the IRDAI on its compliance with insurance laws and subsequent regulatory action by the IRDAI.
White Collar Investigations
- A Germany headquartered medical devices company on investigation of whistle-blower complaints alleging employee fraud.
- A Germany headquartered concrete manufacturer on investigation of whistle-blower complaints alleging employee fraud..
- A Germany headquartered automotive parts manufacturer on investigation of whistle-blower complaints alleging potential bribery of public officials in India.
- A Private Equity fund on investigation of whistle-blower complaints alleging employee fraud and diversion of business opportunity by employees of their investee company in India.
- A US headquartered business-process services company on investigation of whistle–blower complaints alleging improper interactions between officials of its India operations and public officials in India especially in connection with land allotment and grant of approvals.
- A US headquartered beer company on the legal permissibility and compliance of the trade practices of its India subsidiary from an anti-bribery perspective.
- Advised a UK head quartered chemicals manufacturing company on devising and implementing their compliance program for all vendors of its Indian subsidiary.
- A leading US head-quartered computer hardware company on investigating a whistle-blower complaint alleging misconduct in securing a large supply order from the government.
A detailed experience statement can be shared on a confidential basis.
- B.Sc. LL.B, (Hons.), National Law University, Jodhpur (2011)