Mukul Baveja is a Partner at the Firm and looks after the Intellectual Property practice at the Firm’s Mumbai office.
Mukul advises clients on both contentious as well non-contentious IP matters involving trademark, copyright and patent issues from diverse business sectors including media & entertainment, technology, automotive, pharmaceutical, healthcare, FMCG, electronics and fashion. Mukul also advises clients on cross-border commercial transactions involving transfer and use of IP rights, such as trade mark licensing, franchising models, copyright acquisitions and technology transfer agreements. He has also acted for domestic and international clients on contentious IP matters before various judicial forums in India, and on domain name disputes before the arbitration forums of the World Intellectual Property Organization and the National Internet Exchange of India. He also advises clients on data protection and privacy issues under Indian law. On the prosecution side, Mukul represents clients before the Indian Trademark Offices, manages brand portfolios and regularly advises clients on brand protection strategies in India.
Mukul holds a master’s degree (specializing in Intellectual Property) from Queen Mary, University of London. He is member of the Bar Council of Delhi and is licensed to practice at all courts and trademark offices in India.
Select Experience Statement
- Fedders LLyod Corp. Limited, a leading consumer goods company in India in a trade mark infringement matter which culminated into a landmark judgment of the Delhi High Court on the issue of acquiescence and delay in enforcing trade mark rights.
- Huawei Technologies, China in a domain name dispute before the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI); secured a landmark decision awarding rare exemplary damages.
- Apple Inc. on standard essential patents and acted for them against Ericsson at the Delhi High Court.
- Microsoft before the Delhi High Court on a patent infringement suit in relation to their One Note software.
- AGA Medical Corporation, a leading American medical device company, in a patent infringement action before the Delhi High Court.
- Hetero Drugs in a patent infringement dispute against Bristol Myers Squibb before the Delhi High Court.
- McCormick Switzerland GmbH in LCIA arbitration proceedings in relation to a tradename/corporate name dispute with its licensee, ‘Kohinoor Foods Ltd.’, in India.
- Metro International, Luxembourg on trade mark and copyright issues in its dispute with the Times Group.
- Contiloe Entertainment in an INR 130 million copyright infringement dispute against a leading visual effects company in the Indian film industry.
- Global Consumer Products before the Bombay High Court on a trade secrets dispute against one of the largest consumer goods companies in India.
- Nissan Motors in a domain name dispute and secured its rights in relation to its ‘Infiniti’ brand of cars.
- Suzuki Motor Corp. in a trade mark dispute involving its brand name and associated logos
- Scotch Whisky Association, UK in a Passing-Off action for protection of its geographical indication.
- Century 21 Real Estate LLC, US in a trade mark and copyright infringement action against misuse of its corporate name and logo.
- Sotheby’s in an enforcement action against the misuse of its brand through a similar domain name in India.
A detailed experience statement can be shared on a confidential basis.
- Bar Council of Delhi
- Delhi High Court Bar Association
- LL.M, Queen Mary, University of London (specialisation in IP)
- LL.B, (Hons.)