Anuj Bhasme, an Equity Partner based out of Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co.’s Mumbai office is part of the firm’s General Corporate, Private Equity, Venture Capital and Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group.
Anuj has over 15 years of experience in advising clients on domestic and cross-border M&A, private equity and venture capital transactions across various sectors. Anuj is noted for his particular expertise in the real estate, health care, logistics, services, FMCG, manufacturing, information technology and retail sectors. Anuj also has substantial experience and expertise in corporate advisory and regulatory aspects and has made several representations to various Indian regulatory bodies, including the Reserve Bank of India, Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
As part of his private equity and venture capital practice, Anuj has represented large and reputable global private equity houses such as Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, LeapFrog, Hillhouse Capital Group and Motion Ventures on some of their marquee investments. Anuj also regularly advises several large multi-national corporations, such as Mitsubishi Power Americas, Inc., Church & Dwight Co. Inc., Lululemon, Texas Instruments Inc., Sanitarium, Air France, DEME Group NV, Newell Brands, CPM Holdings Inc., Toyoda Gosei Co., Ltd., NCR Corporation, EllansaLabs, Inc., Raymond Group, New Delhi Television Limited, LG Group, Bombay Fluid System Components Private Limited and Credit Suisse (Switzerland) Ltd., in relation to various strategic ventures, corporate restructuring and corporate advisory work.
Clients have described Anuj as “a true expert who can break down key issues in a way that is understandable”; Clients have also had the following to say about Anuj: “he has a pragmatic approach in resolving issues and he thinks outside of the box”; and “he delivers high quality advice; he has the ability to provide crisp and clear advice”.
Anuj is a part of “Elite Club of BW Legal World 40 under 40 Club of Lawyers, Legal Leaders and Legal Influencers” in 2022. Anuj was declared as the “exclusive winner in the M&A category for India” of the Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2021 and the Lexology Client Choice Awards, 2019. Anuj has also been mentioned as a ‘key lawyer’ in the Firm’s real estate and construction practice in 2021 by The Legal 500 – Asia Pacific – India edition.
Prior to joining the Firm, Anuj worked at the Mumbai office of J. Sagar Associates, Advocates and Solicitors.
Select Experience Statement
Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Advised the Hillhouse Capital Group, in their investment in Tablespace Technologies Private Limited for USD 201.50 million.
- Advising the Hillhouse Capital Group, in their investments in the Indian warehousing and commercial leasing sectors.
- Advised FPL Technologies Private Limited, in raising Series D round of fund raise amounting to USD 101.2 million from certain private equity investors, through issuance of equity shares and Series D compulsorily convertible preference shares.
- Advised LeapFrog Investments in their Series B round of investment in Redcliffe Lifetech, Inc. (USA) for USD 61 million.
- Advised LeapFrog Investments in their Series C round of investment in HealthifyMe (Singapore) for USD 75 million.
- Advised LeapFrog Investments in their Series C round of investment in MedGenome Inc. (USA) for USD 31.5 million.
- Advised Motion Ventures, in the secondary share purchase transactions pertaining to shares of FreightBro Logistics Private Limited from its existing investors.
- Advised Trail Mix Ventures Fund II, LP, in the secondary share purchase transactions pertaining to shares of FreightBro Logistics Private Limited from its existing investors.
- Advised Motion Ventures in the pre-seed investment round in FreightBro Logistics Private Limited and Worldkart Pte. Ltd. (Shipskart).
- Advised LeapFrog in a secondary share purchase transaction which was aimed to provide a partial exit to one of the co-founders of MedGenome Inc.
- Advised Blackstone in its 100% acquisition of certain portfolio companies of Indiabulls Real Estate Limited which housed marquee commercial real estate assets in Mumbai and Gurgaon, for an aggregate consideration of INR 27.17 billion, in one of the largest private equity investments in the real estate space in India in 2019.
- Advised Blackstone in its 50% investment in two portfolio companies (holding commercial real estate assets in Mumbai) of Indiabulls Real Estate Limited, having an aggregate enterprise value of USD 1.46 billion, in the largest private equity investment in the real estate space in India in 2018.
- Advised Blackstone in its 50% investment in portfolio companies of Indiabulls Real Estate Limited (which hold a developed tech park and an under-development IT/ITes project, in Gurugram).
- Advised Goldman Sachs in its majority acquisition of YOHO, the student housing arm of the Manipal Group, and the subsequent acquisition of the stake of the Manipal Group, in YOHO, by HDFC.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advising a European headquartered multi-national company in connection with a joint venture with an Indian company in the steel manufacturing sector.
- Advised EllansaLabs, Inc., in relation to their acquisition of Greysauce Technologies Private Limited, which is an entity engaged in the business of inter alia, software designing, testing and dealing in computer software and solutions, in the gems and jewelry industry.
- Advised a group of investors in relation to acquisition of Guideline Capital Private Limited, a non-banking financial company (non-deposit), registered with the Reserve Bank of India, through acquisition of equity shares of Guideline Capital Private Limited.
- Advised Acumen Fund Inc. in its sale of certain shares held in Ziqitza Health Care Limited, to Murgency Global Services Private Limited, for an aggregate consideration of approximately INR 601 million.
- Advising Adam Vital Hospitals, UAE on structuring and proposed acquisition of hospitals and clinical diagnostic centers in India.
- Advised NCR Corporation in its acquisition of Terafina, Inc., which is a leading solution provider for customer account opening and onboarding across digital, branch and call center channels.
- Advised the founders of the AGS Health Group in its sale of the AGS Health Group, to Baring PE, for an aggregate consideration of USD 350 million.
- Advised the promoters of VRV Group in its sale of the Indian subsidiary of the VRV Group, to the Chart Group, as part of a global transaction, for an aggregate consideration of approximately EUR 125 million.
- Advised Air France in relation to its joint venture with Max Aerospace, India.
- Advised JKIT (a group company of Raymond Limited) in its acquisition of the stake of Ansell in JK Ansell (involved in the FMCG business).
General Corporate Advisory
- Advising distributors of Swagelok products in India in connection with proposed supply arrangement with prominent automobile manufacturers.
- Advising a South Korean multi-national company for setting up an electric vehicle / battery manufacturing unit in India in collaboration with a Japanese car manufacturer.
- Advising LeapFrog Investments in relation to its fund structures and modes of investments in India, from the perspective of applicable laws in India.
- Advising New Delhi Television Limited and its affiliates in connection with the queries related to applicable Indian corporate laws and securities laws.
- Advised Dredging International NV in relation to its joint venture with Van Oord India and International Seaport Dredging, India.
- Advised Raymond Limited on restructuring of the entire Raymond group, in order to unlock the value potential of the lifestyle business, for an aggregate value of INR 3.50 billion.
- Advising the promoters of Raymond Limited for sale of one of its subsidiaries, for an aggregate value of INR 30 billion.
- Advised Brainly India Private Limited on Indian corporate compliance requirements.
A detailed experience statement can be shared on a confidential basis.
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
- LL.B, Government Law College, Mumbai, India
- LL.M, New York University School of Law, New York, N.Y.