Anirban Bhattacharya is a Partner at the Firm and specialises in private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures in private as well as public market deals.
Anirban has advised foreign and Indian clients on domestic and cross-border transactions and acquisitions, including mergers, buyouts, open offers, public market transactions, direct sales and secondary equity acquisitions.
Select Experience Statement
- KKR in its acquisition of control from the promoters of B. Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Limited and the ensuing open offer.
- GIC in relation to:
- acquisition of an additional stake from the promoter of Bandhan Bank Limited (pursuant to its divestment obligations under the banking license guidelines) through a public market purchase.
- acquisition of a minority stake in Canfin Homes.
- Blackstone Capital Partners in relation to:
- Sale of ~23% stake in Essel Propack Limited through public market purchases, one of the largest single day stake sales in India.
- India leg of the global US$ 570 million investment in JDA Software.
- US$ 895 million investment in Mphasis Limited through a secondary buyout from Hewlett Packard Enterprises.
- US$ 170 million investment in IBS Software Services Private Limited through a partial secondary buyout from General Atlantic.
- US$ 250 million acquisition of two seaplane business in the Maldives, which deal was nominated for “Asia PE Deal of the Year” in the private equity category at the IFLR Asia Awards 2014.
- British Aerospace Engineering in restructuring the contractual arrangements with the Governments of India and the U.S.A. for the M777 Howitzers pursuant to its global transaction with Rheinmetall AG.
- Star Agribazaar Technology Limited in structuring its e commerce agri-trading platform.
- Star Agriwarehousing and Collateral Management Limited in restructuring of the Star Agri group.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India in the legal structuring and drafting of certain agricultural reform legislations.
- ONGC Videsh Limited on:
- its investments in Venezuela.
- the joint operating agreement in relation to the onshore oil blocks in Myanmar.
- sanctions in relation to its US$ 1.268 billion investment in the Vankor oil field in Russia pursuant to a stake sale by Rosneft in Vankorneft.
- the proposed additional 11% acquisition in Vankorneft.
- Bandhan Bank Limited in its merger with GRUH Finance Limited.
- Paytm E-Commerce Private Limited in its co-investment with Alibaba in Supermarket Grocery Supplies Private Limited (BigBasket).
- Barings Asia Private Equity in its proposed investment in a financial services company.
- Karvy Computershare Private Limited on the acquisition of a majority stake in it by General Atlantic.
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG on the India leg of its global acquisition of WABCO and involving an indirect change of control of WABCO India Limited resulting in the announcement of an open offer.
- Rabo Equity Advisors Private Limited in its investment in Olive Bar and Kitchen through a secondary acquisition from Aditya Birla Private Equity.
- One97 Communications Limited in its minority investment in Avenues Payments India Private Limited.
- IDFC Alternatives Limited in its sale of 60% of Green Infra Limited, an IDFC Alternatives initiative, to Sembcorp Utilities Pte. Ltd. on a fully diluted basis through primary investments in equity and debentures and secondary equity acquisitions.
- Temasek on the acquisition of Indian assets of the Ascendas Group and the Surbana Group as part of the global merger between Temasek’s and JTC Corporation’s residential and commercial assets.
- IDFC Private Equity Fund III in its initial investment in Star Agriwarehousing and Collateral Management Limited, one of India’s largest private warehousing companies, for an amount equivalent to INR 1.5 billion.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation on its proposed investments in companies engaged in alternative energy based in Switzerland and the U.S.A.
- Herbalife Limited on its proposed acquisition of a strategic sourcing partner in India by way of a slump sale.
A detailed experience statement can be shared on a confidential basis.
- Bar Council of Delhi
- New York State Bar Association
- Campus Law Centre, University of Delhi (LL.B.)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.)