Ambarish is a Partner at the Firm, and focuses on private and public mergers and acquisitions, and private equity investments.
Ambarish’s clients have included sovereign wealth funds, private equity investors, strategic foreign investors, and Indian corporations, in complex mergers and acquisitions. In the last few years Ambarish has advised on several multibillion-dollar transactions.
Ambarish has been included in the list of top 10 M&A lawyers in India by MergerLinks, and has also been included in 40 under 40 and Rising Stars lists.
Ambarish also advises board of directors and senior management on corporate governance, and high-risk matters. Ambarish has been a key member of the team advising the Government of India on some of the key legislations and regulations.
In 2016, Ambarish was seconded by the Firm to Mitsui & Co., Ltd at Tokyo, for a year, where he was working with the Asia Pacific Legal Department.
Ambarish graduated law school near the top of his class, joined the Firm as an associate, and became a partner in April 2018. At the Firm Ambarish also contributes to training program for associates.
Select Experience Statement
- Advent in its control acquisition of Suven Pharmaceuticals Limited through a share purchase and mandatory open offer (ongoing).
- ACRE, an asset reconstruction company, in one of a kind financial restructuring of Jayaswal Neco Industries Ltd, a listed company, while avoiding insolvency and mandatory open offer.
- TPG Rise Climate in its up to USD 1 billion investment in the electric vehicles business of Tata Motors.
- Biocon Biologics Limited in its USD 3.3 billion (cash and stock) agreement to acquire global biosimilars business of Viatris Inc.
- PharmEasy, an Indian unicorn, in its acquisition of Thyrocare Technologies Limited, a listed company, and related mandatory open offer.
- TPG in its investment in Reliance Retail Ventures Limited.
- Asia Healthcare Holdings Pte. Ltd. in its fund raise from GIC.
- TPG in its investment in Jio Platforms Limited.
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund in obtaining an approximately USD 800 million funding commitment from the President of India.
- Altico Capital India Limited, a stressed debt-listed systematically important non-banking financial company in its financial resolution and eventual sale.
- Life Insurance Corporation of Indiain its USD 4.4 billion acquisition of majority shareholding in IDBI Bank Limited through preferential issue and an open offer.
- Rise Fund SF Pte Ltd.in its investment in Fourth Partner Energy Private Limited, a distributed solar power company.
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd. in several investments in India.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited, in over USD 5 billion acquisition of 51% shareholding in Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- Sumitomo Corporation in its joint-venture with Mahindra Agri Solutions Ltd. for crop care business.
- Ricoh Company Ltd, with respect to an alleged accounting fraud at its Indian subsidiary.
- Khazanah Nasional Berhad, the sovereign wealth fund of Malaysia in its investment in TransUnion CIBIL Limited, the major credit rating agency in India.
- Carrefour S.A. in setting up a wholesale cash and carry and distribution business in India and exit.
- Toshiba Corporation in several investments in India.
- India Resurgence Fund (a Bain Capital and Piramal Enterprises partnership) and Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Limited, in over USD 1 billion uncompleted acquisition of Binani Cement Limited, contested up to the Supreme Court of India.
A detailed experience statement can be shared on a confidential basis.
- National Law University, Jodhpur, B.B.A. LL.B, (Honours)