Employment Law – Code on Social Security 2020
November 5, 2020
The Code on Social Security 2020 (CSS) was passed by the parliament on 23 September 2020. It received Presidential assent on 28 September and was published in the Official Gazette on 29 September 2020, along with two other Labour Codes, namely, the Code on Industrial Relations 2020 and the Code on Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions, 2020. The Code on Wages 2019 was earlier passed and notified in the gazette on 8 August 2019. However, all of these Codes are yet to be notified to come into force.
The CSS amalgamates, simplifies and rationalises provisions of nine central labour enactments relating to social security, namely:
- The Employees’ Compensation Act, 1923;
- The Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948;
- The Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952;
- The Employment Exchanges (Compulsory Notification of Vacancies) Act, 1959;
- The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961;
- The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972;
- The Cine Workers Welfare Fund Act, 1981;
- The Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Cess Act, 1996; and
- The Unorganised Workers’ Social Security Act, 2008.